Thursday, October 1, 2009

David

1 Samuel 17 is the chapter we are going to be working with, so....
I always think of the movie troy when I read these verses and that Giant guy with bulging muscles that is totally owned by Brad Pitt. I think it is crazy how much more you can carry and wear with two more inches and more body weight, but here is a guy with 3 more feet, and is thick with muscle!
Couple quick questions that I know you already know the answer to:
Who should have fought Goliath?
Why did David pick up 5 stones?

Why didn't Israel attack instead of sit there waiting for forty days? It seems to me like I would have maybe waited four or five days, then said, "OK, we don't have anyone that wants to challenge you, lets just go attack the whole army." Well, now that I read vs. 21 it looks like they were fighting every day. It sounds like David keeps asking him what the king will give him, but I also sense a focus more on the removing of the reproach that the philistine is bringing on him. I can't decide. I do want to say that David sounds like a thug! I always have loved the part where they talk cause Goliath is like, hey, curse you by my god's, then the birds and the animals are going to eat you. Then David's argument back is like, nuh uh I'm going to curse you by my God, then the birds and animals are going to eat you! Take that Goliath right back at you. It is kinda a weak but very strong retaliation.
It's kinda a gross finish with David carrying Goliath's head, but what I think is significant is that David does all this for God's reputation sake. To Show that the God of heaven is the living and true God. That takes a lot of guts to do what he did, but he was prepared for the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I think it would be cool if they added the beheading part to the song "Only a Boy Named David." That's what was missing in all those VBS's I went to...

    1. I don't know, Saul? He seemed to be the tallest around anyway. Just not the bravest apparently.

    2. I didn't know this until I looked it up actually, but thanks to the internet, I found out that Goliath had four brothers (2 Sam. 21:19-20), so he was prepared in case they tried to get revenge. Also (according to the same source), we can use this as a lesson that we can go into our battles fully trusting God, but also preparing in the best way that we can.

    ReplyDelete